1. Food

Christine Benlafquih

Moroccan Sugar Cone - Pain de Sucre

By March 13, 2010

Sugar is sold in a variety of forms in Morocco, including the large sugar cone in this picture. Known as qaalib al-sukar in Arabic ("molded sugar"), and pain de sucre in French ("loaf of sugar"), it's the preferred sugar for sweetening Moroccan tea. Some Moroccans claim that it not only has a better taste than regular sugar, it's the secret to creating a frothy head or "turban" on the tea when it's poured.

The sugar cones are almost rock-solid, and a bit resistant to breaking into neat pieces. Some Moroccan women can deftly whack off chunks with the bottom of a sturdy tea glass, but given the trouble I have breaking up the sugar with a heavy brass pestle, I dare not try the glass routine.

It's Moroccan tradition to give the sugar cones as gifts to mark family events. We received a carton of the sugar cones upon the birth of one of our babies, and also received a carton from someone who came to pay condolences when a family member died. The first time we received the sugar, I was baffled and didn't know the cones were sugar. I actually thought someone had given us a box of salt licks for livestock.

Now I'm wiser, and tonight I even used some of the cone sugar to make a pot of plain Green Tea. My kids tasted the difference instantly. I have to wonder if they've become little tea connoisseurs, or if I simply over sweetened the tea with too-big of a chunk.

See the glossary listing for sukar to learn the names of other types of sugar in Morocco, such as granulated sugar and powdered sugar.

Photo Christine Benlafquih

Do you Twitter? Follow @moroccan_food.

Keep up with Moroccan Food on Facebook.

Sign up for the free weekly Moroccan Food Newsletter.

Have questions about Moroccan food or cooking? Post them to the Moroccan Food Forum.

Comments

March 22, 2010 at 7:25 pm
(1) whatscookingtoday says:

I wonder how many ettay glasses they broke before they mastered the art lol .

September 5, 2011 at 6:46 pm
(2) Christine says:

Any idea where this stuff can be purchased in the US?

February 2, 2012 at 7:46 am
(3) Suewho says:

My fthaer’s side of the family lived in Algeria until they had to leave in 1962 when the former French colonies in North Africa became independent. I can’t tell you how many times I have watched my aunts make tagines and couscous while growing up. I will give your recipe a try. It sounds so appetizing! I can smell all the spices from here — Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

February 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm
(4) Barakat says:

Any idea where I can purchase it here in the U.S ? I’ve just finished my last piece I brought with me from Canada and now I am having a hard time to find. Any suggestions? Tea does taste way better with the sugar cones so I can see why your kids noticed the different.

thanks

August 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm
(5) sidi says:

if you morrocan you’ll break zero tea glass but if not it will be at least a couple dozens

November 2, 2013 at 8:14 pm
(6) Megs says:

White sugar cones can be purchased in the US from the following websites:

Hope this helps!