This easy cooked Fava Bean Salad is usually offered as a side, but it can also be served as a vegetarian main dish. Moroccans typically eat it as a dip with Moroccan bread or as a finger food. Whether or not to remove the fava bean skins is left to the preference of the diner. The preserved lemon is optional.
Serves 4 as a side dish.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 lb. (500 g) shelled fresh fava beans
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1/2 preserved lemon, cut into quarters (optional)
Place the fava beans, garlic, spices, olive oil and water in a small pot. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes.
Add the salt and lemon juice, cover, and continue simmering for another 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to oil and spices. Stir in the parsley and preserved lemon, taste for salt, and serve warm or at room temperature.