Moroccan cuisine includes some delicious cooked salads which are eaten as dips. This zesty tomato and green pepper salad is known as taktouka in some parts of Morocco.
No matter how much of this salad I make, I rarely have leftovers. Try it and you'll see why.
You'll need to roast and skin your green peppers before you use them in the recipe. If you've never done this, How to Roast and Skin Peppers will show you how.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 6 ripe fresh tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 2 or 3 large fresh green peppers (roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- pinch of cayenne or red pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Mix all ingredients in a large frying pan. Cook over medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are very soft. Adjust the heat if necessary to keep the tomatoes and peppers from burning.
Smash the softened tomatoes with a spoon, and continue cooking for another 10 minutes, or until the liquids are reduced to oil. At this point the salad should be well-blended and can be stirred away from the sides of the pan.
Serve taktouka warm or cold with crusty bread for scooping up the salad.