Sliced carrots are boiled then marinated with chermoula, a Moroccan blend of spices, herbs, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil. Serve warm or cold.
You can dice the carrots if you prefer, but slicing them is the traditional presentation. Also try Cold Carrot Salad with Vinaigrette.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb. (about 1/2 kg) fresh carrots, peeled and cut into 1/8" slices
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, partially crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon hot paprika
Boil the carrots in salted water until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, and immediately cover the carrots with cold water to stop further cooking. Drain again.
In a medium pot or skillet, gently saute the garlic cloves in the olive oil for two or three minutes over low heat. Discard the garlic, and add the carrots, lemon juice, cilantro, and spices. Saute over low heat for another two minutes, and remove from the heat.
Serve the marinated carrots either warm or chilled.