This easy Moroccan rice recipe is very versatile and can be served as a side or main dish. Adjust the seasoning or quantity of bell peppers to your own family's tastes. Diced beef, lamb or chicken can be added – simply brown the meat with the rice before adding the liquids.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked medium or long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 large tomato, grated
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 small cinnamon stick (optional)
In a deep skillet, saute the rice, onions and peppers in the oil. When the rice begins to brown, add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook for several minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the water, tomato paste, cilantro and spices. Bring the liquids to a boil then reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer gently for 25 to 30 minutes without stirring, until the rice has absorbed the liquids.
Remove the rice from the heat and lightly stir to blend the rice and vegetables. Cover, and let sit for at least five minutes before serving.