Chorba al-Khadra bil Djej wa Roz is a tasty, satisfying soup made by simmering carrots, zucchini and onions with chicken, rice and Moroccan spices and herbs. Serve it as a starter or as a light supper.
Serves 4 to 6.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 150 g (about 5 oz.) cooked chicken, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion or 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped (set aside)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 or 2 celery stalks with leaves, diced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley and/or cilantro
- 1/4 cup uncooked rice
- 3 cups (700 ml) chicken broth or stock
- 3 cups (700 ml) water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or black pepper to taste)
- several saffron threads, crushed (optional)
In a 3 qt. pot, saute the onions and garlic in the butter over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the zucchini, and bring the soup to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Add the zucchini, cover, and continue simmering for another 10 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender and the rice is cooked. Taste, adjust the seasoning if desired, and serve.