Although of Tunisian and Algerian origin, spicy merguez sausages are quite popular in Morocco. Some butchers boast their own signature merguez spice blend, while others prepare the sausages with a commercial mix instead.
My local butcher's Spanish-made merguez blend contains glucose powder, which gives the sausage a notably sweet essence. Add the optional sugar if you'd like sweet contrast in your own merguez spice mix.
Once combined, store the mixture in an airtight glass or plastic container for up to six months. Use it when following this Merguez Sausage Recipe.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons powdered sugar (optional)
Measure all ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine. Sift once, stir again and transfer to an airtight container for storage.