Fried Sardines Stuffed with Chermoula is a classic Moroccan recipe that's easy to prepare. Double fillets of sardine are stuffed with a spicy marinade called chermoula before being dredged in flour and pan-fried. If you've never tried sardines, this recipe is sure to win you over. Consider offering the sardines alongside some of the other dishes listed in this Moroccan Fried Fish Dinner Menu Ideas.
To make the sardines, you'll start by preparing the chermoula. In a bowl, mix together:
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper or hot paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- juice of 1 small lemon
Adjust the seasoning to your own preferences. Chermoula is typically a bit salty and zesty, but you can make it milder or spicier.